Wednesday – September 19, 2018
Within fifteen (15) business days from the date grades are due (or submitted if done so after the due date), the student shall contact the instructor who issued the final grade and discuss the grade in question. The contact or the discussion should occur or be documented in writing via email. If the student is unable to contact the faculty member, he or she may seek assistance through the instructor’s Associate Dean.
The faculty member must respond in writing via email to the student’s appeal within ten (10) business days of receiving the appeal. The faculty member must also copy their Associate Dean.
If the student and instructor are unable to resolve the dispute, and the student wishes to pursue the matter, he or she shall contact the Associate Dean in writing within five (5) business days of the faculty member’s decision. The student must indicate the course number, the instructor’s name, and the reasons for disputing the final grade on a Grade Appeal Request form.
The Associate Dean will contact the instructor to notify, discuss, and confer about the grade appeal. He or she should have, or will obtain, a copy of the syllabus. The Associate Dean will confer with the Chair of the Academic Appeals Board and will reach any one of the following conclusions in considering the Appeal:
- a. That the student does not have grounds for an appeal, and that the matter should be closed.
- b. That the student may or does have grounds for an appeal and attempt to reach a resolution between the student and faculty member. A resolution must be reached within ten (10) business days, or the Appeal will automatically proceed to the Academic Appeals Board.
- c. That the student may or may not have grounds for an appeal, but that no resolution can be reached and thus the matter should proceed to the Academic Appeals Board.
- d. If the Associate Dean and the Chair of the Academic Appeals Board are unable to reach a consensus on the Appeal, the Appeal will automatically proceed to the Academic Appeals Board.
- e. If the recommendation is that the appeal proceeds to the Academic Appeals Board, all academic and/or financial aid based penalties will be postponed until the conclusion of the grade appeal.
- f. If the Chair determines that there is insufficient cause to proceed, he or she will notify the student in writing within ten (10) business days after receiving the request for hearing and the matter is closed. Title: ACADEMIC GRADE APPEAL PROCEDURE Code: Policy Reference: ADMINSTRATIVE REGULATION AND PROCEDURE 2017-18 handbook (FINAL)_academic grade appeal
If there is sufficient cause to proceed and a resolution is not possible, the Chair of the Academic Appeals Board (or designee) will schedule an Academic Appeal Hearing. The Chair (or designee) will also notify the student, the instructor, and the Associate Dean of the date, time, and location of the hearing in writing within ten (10) calendar days after receiving the written request for a hearing.